Monday, June 1, 2015

3 Month REVIEW: JAVA X1-7S-D 14" Wheel Folding Bicycle

THE GOOD:

The first thing you'll have to get used to is all the curious looks you'll get. Wherever you ride this thing, people will stare. Traffic will slow down so that people can get a better look at you and your bike. The attention never fails to put a smile on my face.

I've even had strangers come and have a friendly chat about the bike. Common things to hear are:
  • Hey, nice bike!
  • Where you get it?
  • How much was it?
  • (The most surprising one is) Does it have a motor?


THE BAD:

All the positive attention from others is all well and good but there is one deal breaker that makes me regret buying it. The manufacturer rates it to take up to 100kg riders. Problem is I've had a rear-wheel spoke break on me twice.
The first time was after about a month of riding. I took it back to the shop where I bought it and they fixed it for free. Nobody carries spares for 14" bicycle wheels so the wheel had to get sent to China or Taiwan (wherever the factory is) to get it fixed. So, it was almost a month until I got my bike back.

I figured I must have just been unlucky to get a bad wheel. But after 2 weeks of getting it fixed, a rear wheel spoke broke again! Not sure if it's the same one or a different spoke.

So, although its specified to handle riders of up to 100kg, I doubt the wheels have been tested and rated to withstand riders of that weight. What doesn't help is the uneven roads that put increased stress on the wheel when riding over them at speed. Still, the ratings/ specifications should be at most half of what the wheel is engineered/ tested to withstand.



BOTTOM LINE:

All in all, I purchased this bike as my main form of transport. Above all other things, I need it to be reliable - ready to go wherever and whenever I am. It hasn't even come close to satisfying that purpose. I consider every dollar I spent on it a waste.

I can at best, only recommend this bike as a recreational bicycle for children. Being able to fold it makes it possible to put it in your car and take it to parks etc. But if it's a mode of transport you're looking for, STAY AWAY!

Also, the fact that the product fails to perform to advertised specification (100kg riders) means I can't really trust Java as a brand.


2 comments:

  1. Hey, darajman,
    Such a bummer that the bike has not worked out for you. I've owned this same bike for around 6 weeks. For what it's worth, the bike shop guy here (in Singapore) told me that the maximum weight load would be 65kg. Much lower than the advertised 100kg!! The bike is fine for me, at under 5 ft and under 50kg. Maybe because I am not much larger than a child!

    My overall impression of the Java X1 7S D is that it is a good recreational or urban bike for smaller sized adults. It is not altogether comfortable on uneven surfaces because of the small wheel size but very smooth on paved surfaces. And yeah, it does attract attention. I find it particularly good for weaving through crowded places with heavy pedestrian traffic. The short wheel base helps.

    Anyway, I am certainly not trying to defend Java or claim that they are trustworthy. I guess I was lucky that I got more accurate information from my bike shop and didn't rely on Java's marketing spiel. I am happy with my bike because it is a good physical fit for me. But I am hardly an average sized adult, so this bike is definitely not for everyone.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response and feedback Rikki! Always good to have another perspective.

      Actually, I managed to find an online seller in Germany selling spokes of the correct length. They sell them of various thicknesses.

      I ordered some thicker ones and waiting for the shipment to arrive. Will see if the thicker spokes can handle my weight (70kg) and do a write up on it.

      Regards!

      Delete